|Arts United Center||Fort Wayne, IN|
Arts United Center (AUC)
303 E. Main Street
Fort Wayne, IN 46802
Parking – Due to construction in the Fort Wayne Museum of Art, there is limited parking to the east of the Arts United Center behind the construction, as well as a metered lot to the west rear of the building, behind Freimann Square. Click here for map.
The Arts United Center (formerly the Performing Arts Center) is designed as a Continental House theatre (designed without a center isle) allowing seating for 657 people. This theatre has held many performances such as the Civic Theatre plays, the Fort Wayne Ballets performances, the Youtheatre's productions and this past year the Martin Luther King Celebration to name just a few of the many activities offered at this facility.
The Arts United Center also offers the Ian Rolland Gallery for meetings, receptions and many other occasions. The gallery includes a spacious and fully equiped kitchen and the Gallery overlooks the newly completed Arts Plaza and the lovely Frieman Square.
|Embassy Theatre||Fort Wayne, IN|
125 W. Jefferson
Fort Wayne, IN 46802
Click here for directions.
Parking – There is available paid parking in the Civic Center garage, located on Calhoun and Jefferson and the Harrison Square garage, with entrances located on Harrison Street and Douglas Street.
On May 14, 1928, the doors of the magnificent Emboyd Theatre opened in Fort Wayne, Indiana. Built as a movie/vaudeville palace, the Emboyd provided a majestic backdrop for the entertainment of the day. For the admission price of 60 cents, guests to the Emboyd’s Opening Night festivities were treated to vaudeville acts on the stage, musical performances by the symphonic orchestra and the Grande Page Organ, and the silent film Easy Come, Easy Go starring Richard Dix.
Wrapped around the north and west sides of the theatre was the seven-story Indiana Hotel, which catered to business clientele generated from the nearby train station. The hotel billed itself as “Fort Wayne’s Newest and Finest Year ‘Round Air Conditioned” hotel and the “Home of the World’s Best Beds.” The 250 rooms had a combination tub and shower bath. The hotel had the Café, Cocktail Lounge and Circular Bar, famous for its ‘food, beverages, music and entertainment.’ Later business tenants of the Indiana Hotel included Sam’s Barbershop (in the hotel basement next to the breakfast kitchen), the Indiana Drug Store and Dr. C.B. Parker (along Harrison Street on the first floor). The hotel operated until 1966, closing due to a decline in train traffic and changes in the hotel industry.
In 1952, the theatre was leased to an amusement company and the name changed to the Embassy Theatre. The Embassy operated primarily as a movie theatre until 1972 when the owners decided that it would be more profitable to demolish the theatre and create a parking lot. Through the efforts of a handful of volunteers and with support from a caring community, the Embassy Theatre and Indiana Hotel were saved from the wrecking ball just two days before scheduled demolition. The resulting commitment of corporate and personal financial support led to the formation of the Embassy Theatre Foundation, the not-for-profit organization that to this day restores, maintains and operates Indiana’s largest historical theatre. In 1995, a major renovation of the Embassy Stage brought the theatre up to the modern standards required by large scale touring companies. The original seating capacity of the Embassy Theatre was 3,100, but through renovation it has been reduced to the current 2,477. The main floor seats 1,395 and the Balcony seats 1,070 people. Two wheelchair areas behind sections B & C can accommodate up to 12 wheelchairs.
Restoration of the Indiana Hotel Lobby and Mezzanine was also completed at this time, contributing to the Embassy’s reincarnation as a multi-use Centre for entertainment, social and educational functions. Designed in the Mediterranean tradition, the Indiana Hotel Lobby and Mezzanine have also been restored to their former grandeur with great attention to historical relevance and detail. The original mezzanine railing and main tile flooring remain. The carpeting on the mezzanine level is a duplication of a piece taken from one of the original hotel rooms. The remaining hotel rooms are currently unused.
Through all renovations and improvements, the Embassy Theatre has maintained the historic integrity of the building that is on the National Registry of Historic Places.
In 2003, the Embassy celebrated its 75th Anniversary with a year of spectacular events and unforgettable celebrations, including a re-creation of the 1928 Opening Night celebration on May 14, 2003, a complimentary concert celebrating the 75th Anniversary of the Grande Page Organ, and the dedication of the Honorary Marquee Entryway and Walk of Recognition. The 75th Anniversary celebrations concluded with the lighting of the new Embassy Marquee in May 2004.
|First Wayne Street United Methodist Church||Fort Wayne, IN|
Click here for map.
|Fort Wayne History Center||Fort Wayne, IN|
The History Center is home to the Allen County-Fort Wayne Historical Society, its museum and collections. When formed in 1921, the society's assets were few, consisting of some historical relics that had been preserved by the Mary Penrose Wayne Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution. Today it maintains a collection of more than 26,000 artifacts, photographs and documents representing the history of Fort Wayne and Allen County. The largest of these is the very building in which the society has resided since 1980--the 1893 City Hall building designed by Fort Wayne architects John F. Wing and Marshall S. Mahurin. The History Center also oversees the historic Barr Street Market (adjacent to the building), the oldest public space in Fort Wayne, dating back to 1837, and the 1827 home of Miami Chief Jean Baptiste de Richardville.
|IPFW, Rhinehart Music Center, Auer Performance Hall||Fort Wayne, IN|
|IPFW, Rhinehart Music Center, Rhinehart Recital Hall||Fort Wayne, IN|
|T. Furth Center for the Arts, Trine University||Angola, IN|